Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) Assistance
Assistance for BFRDP Applicants
The New Entry Sustainable Farming Project, in collaboration with its partners, is working with the USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) to gain a better understanding of challenges inexperienced applicants face and to create tools and resources to help support them. The project aims to help all beginning farmer and rancher education and support organizations more easily and effectively apply for the USDA’s Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) funding.
The FY2017 RFA period ended December 8, 2016. We will continue to update our resources and develop more in anticipation of the next RFA in the coming year.
- Join our e-list - signing up here is one way to stay connected about applicant assistance
- Online Self-Assessment Tool - gauge your readiness to apply
- Webinars and Resources - webinar recordings and documents to provide applicant assistance and guidance
- FAQ Portal - review common questions or ask your own and have it answered by the USDA staff
- Application process survey - survey conducted about the application process
Is BFRDP a good fit for your organization? This online self-assessment tool will allow applicants to determine their project's eligibility/applicability, and their level of readiness to submit an application and manage their grant if awarded. This tool is in the pilot phase and will continue to be developed in 2017.
Webinars and resources will provide applicant training and assistance in the various aspects and components of the application process. We are developing more and updating current resources. Check back for updates and additions.
Upcoming webinars focused on the BFRDP application process:
- November (Date TBD): BFRDP Application Process
Join this webinar led by New Entry staff as we walk through the various components of application submission for your BFRDP grant. This webinar will cover aspects of the application package as well as navigating grants.gov.
Recent BFRDP webinars:
- September 19th at 1pm EST: Evaluation Plans
This webinar provides information to develop a useful evaluation plan for both your organization's own use, as well as for a BFRDP proposal. Participants will gain an understanding of the basic steps, and will have a list of resources to use in developing future plans. This webinar is ideal for those who don't have much experience or training in evaluation, or those who want to learn more about creating an evaluation plan.
- Tuesday, August 15th at 1pm EST: Budget and Matching Funds - Apologies; this webinar has been cancelled. We will send out an email announcement to our BFRDP listserv when a new Budget webinar has been scheduled. Thank you for your flexibility and patience! (Updated August 15, 2017)
- Tuesday, July 18, 2017: Building Successful Collaborations
Presented by New Entry and our partner, Allison Goin, this webinar will focus on the importance of building and cultivating strong partnerships and collaborations for BFRDP.
- Tuesday, June 20, 2017: Project Development:
Led by New Entry and our partner, Allison Goin, this webinar addressed various aspects of project development for potential BFRDP applicants. We covered the basics of the BFRDP grant, and focused on Allison's “Ten Questions to Ask When Developing a Project for BFRDP”.
Past Webinars and Other Resources:
- BFRDP Evaluation Webinar 9.19.17 - resources
- WEBINAR: BFRDP New Applicant Webinar - conducted by NIFA on 10/26/16
- WEBINAR: BFRDP Application Process Webinar - conducted by New Entry on 11/16/16; overview of application process and Grants.gov
- BFRDP Program page on the USDA's website
- FY2017 RFA
The FAQ Portal is a compilation of questions that have been asked during USDA webinars about the BFRDP application process. Use this portal to search these questions OR submit your own question, which will be answered by USDA staff.
We conducted a survey to collect your feedback about and training needs regarding the BFRDP application process. Responses are voluntary and anonymous. Only summarized information will be reported. If you have any questions about the survey, please contact Jan Perez (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.