Community Food Systems Conference 2017
December 5 - 7, 2017 - Boston Park Plaza Hotel
Exploring the intersection of food security, social justice, and sustainable agriculture
Sign up for our e-list to stay connected.
New Entry Sustainable Farming Project's Community Food Systems Conference will address common underlying themes between food security, social justice and sustainable agriculture including obstacles in urban and rural environments and fostering community empowerment to create and sustain resilient local food systems. This conference is possible thanks to funding from the Community Food Projects grant program of USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture.
We will provide space for conversations around promoting, facilitating, and supporting self-reliance; breaking down barriers to racial justice; connecting communities to their food sources; and impacting communities at the local and regional level through sustainable food production.
The conference will bring together leaders in, and advocates of, food security, sustainable agriculture and social justice movements to discuss their range of perspectives, how these areas overlap, and how to support one another’s work.
We expect 500 attendees from the fields of community food security, social justice and sustainable agriculture. Estimated registration price $200 - $300. Early bird discount and scholarship opportunities will also be available.
- December 5th pre-conference workshop sessions, field trips and events
- December 6th and 7th main conference workshops and activities including reception
- Workshops and networking sessions focused on food justice, policy, best practices, experiential education, sustainability, economic development, building community, and promoting access to healthy food in underserved communities
- Exhibit hall for leading non-profit, academic, business and government organizations in the community food field
- Reception hosted at Boston Public Market!
- Meals featuring locally-grown foods including a reception hosted by local organizations
- Field trips for an experiential component to see community food systems work in action
- Keynote and plenary sessions on food security, social justice and sustainable agriculture
Request for Proposals Deadline Ended
Thank you for your proposal submissions. The submission deadline was April 15, 2017. We are reviewing proposals and you will hear back from us by the end of May. The proposal instructions are available in this PDF document. Contact Kristen Aldrich (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
There are opportunities to support the 2017 Community Food Systems Conference! Please click here for details.
- $15,000 Partner Level
- $10,000 Harvester Level
- $5,000 Cultivator Level
- $2,500 Sower Level
- $1,500 Seed Level
A limited number of scholarships will be available for individuals who would like to attend the conference but need financial assistance. The request for applications for scholarships will be posted soon. Please check back for instructions.
The conference will be taking place at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel at 50 Park Plaza Boston, MA 02116. Hotel room reservations will be available at a special group rate of $139 per night (+ tax). Click here to book your hotel room(s) at the group rate. Field trips will take place at sites in the Boston area. Specific sites and transportation logistics will be communicated in advance.