1. Spring Preparation (May 11, 2021 - June 8, 2021) - In Progress
Workshop participants will learn basic horticulture principles and practices associated with organic vegetable production emphasizing soil health and regenerative agriculture systems. This workshop focuses on soil management, cultivation and tillage practices (including no-till), plant propagation, and crop planning. The value of soil organic matter and microbes will be discussed within the contexts of industrial and regenerative agriculture, exposing participants to broader issues in the food system.
2. Summer Management (June 22, 2021 – July 20, 2021) - Register Today!
Workshop participants will learn basic horticulture principles and practices associated with organic vegetable production while exploring the management of pests and disease, nutrients, and weeds in an organic farming operation. Additional themes of this workshop explore the use of equipment and tools across different scales of farming operations and the different labor demands of farming operations in conventional and organic production.
3. Fall Harvest (August 3, 2021 – August 31, 2021) - Register Today!
Workshop participants will learn basic horticulture principles and practices associated with organic vegetable production while exploring how to harvest, wash, and pack vegetables for a variety of local market outlets. In this peak part of the season, we will be working with the New Entry Food Hub to explore aggregation and distribution of local produce, in addition to working in the field to harvest and maintain crops. Additional themes will focus on food safety and post-harvest handling.
Throughout the workshops in this series you will learn how to:
- Grow a diversity of fruits and vegetables for your home and/or business
- Identify sustainable agriculture practices
- Create a crop plan
- Manage a greenhouse
- Buy and maintain farm equipment and machinery
- Set up a drip irrigation system
- Manage soil nutrients
- Manage weeds and use cover crops
- Identify pests and implement pest management strategies
- Learn how to prepare crops for market and comply with food safety regulations
- Connect with agencies that provide services for new farmers