This guide is written for individuals who want to start farming, but who do not have access to a large plot of contiguous land. This guide covers specific factors you need to think about when renting multiple parcels of land from other people, including advantages and disadvantages to this type of land tenure and how your farm business can be successful in the long term. This guide also provides examples of other farmers who are successfully farming on multiple small plots. You may benefit from this guide if you:
• Are interested in farming but do not want to leave your community
• Are interested in learning about how to farm without owning land
• Have an idea of what kind of farm business you would like to start but would like more information on how to access land
This guide will help you answer the following questions:
• Who is farming multiple plots?
• What do you need to farm multiple plots and what do these farms look like?
• What do multiple plot farming agreements look like?
• How can you finance your multiple plot farm?
• What kind of challenges might come up in a multiple plot farming setup?