This grain-based salad makes an excellent potluck or picnic dish.
Barley and Corn Salad with Arugula and Haricot Vert (Green Beans)
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 pound green beans trimmed and cut into 2″ segments
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 1 large ear)
- 1 large bunch of arugula (about 4 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), crumbled
Cook barley in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Drain; cool. Transfer to large bowl. Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain. Transfer beans to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well. Transfer to bowl with barley. Mix in corn kernels. Coarsely chop washed and dried arugula; add to bowl with barley mixture. Whisk olive oil, vinegar, shallots, thyme and Dijon mustard in small bowl to blend. Pour enough dressing over barley mixture to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve alongside any remaining dressing.
Bon Appetit, July 1998