Quick and easy seared greens.
- 1 1/2 pounds young collards, washed and very well dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice or red/white wine vinegar
Chop the greens into fairly small pieces; no dimension should be more than 2 inches.
Meanwhile, heat a 12-inch skillet or wok over high heat until smoking. Add the oil to the skillet, let sit for a few seconds, then toss in the greens and the garlic.
Cook over high heat, stirring almost constantly, until the greens wilt and begin to brown, 3 to 8 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and add a little lemon juice or vinegar. Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve immediately.
From How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman