- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola or other neutral oil
- 1 pound radishes, more or less, with tops and roots trimmed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or other vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish
Combine the butter and oil in a medium to large skillet that can later be covered; turn the heat to medium. When the butter melts, add the radishes and cook, stirring, until they are coated with butter, just a minute or two longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the garnish, stir and cover. Turn the heat to low and cook until the radishes are barely tender, about 5 minutes.
Uncover and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the radishes are glazed and the liquid is syrupy, another few minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, garnish, and serve.
How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman