Sauteed greens with garlic, ginger and soy sauce.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 6-10 cups washed, stemmed and chopped bulky greens (cabbage, bok choy, or Chinese cabbage, spinach, beet greens
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or tamari soy sauce
Heat the oil in a wok and add the garlic and ginger root. Sauté very briefly. Add the greens and toss to coat with oil. Add the rice wine, vinegar or lemon juice, honey or sugar, fish sauce, and a splash of water. Delicate greens (spinach and beet greens) will take about 1 minute. Sauté bulky greens (cabbage, bok choy, Chinese cabbage) 5-10 minutes, or until tender. If you use tamari soy sauce instead of fish sauce, add it just before serving.
New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant