Southern style collards with a little spicy heat.
Collard Greens with Tomatoes & Garlic
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 jalapeño, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pounds collard greens, stems discarded and leaves finely shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large enameled, cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion and jalapeño and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, collards, bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the collards are tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the jalapeño, bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Season the collards with salt and pepper and serve.