Once you’ve tried these spicy turnips, you’ll be hooked.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
In large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. When hot, sauté onion until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in turmeric, ginger, coriander, cayenne, salt, pepper and garam masala, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add yogurt and cook 1 minute more. Stir in turnips, turning to coat evenly with yogurt mixture. Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook turnips until tender, about 30 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon water, if necessary, to keep them moist.