Edamame Salad with Beets and Greens
- 4 small beets , trimmed, 1/2 cup greens reserved
- 2 cups shelled edamame (1/2 pound)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon julienned basil
In a large saucepan, set a steamer basket over ½ inch of water and bring to a boil. Add the beets, cover and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Check the water level in the pan halfway through steaming and add more as needed. Transfer the beets to a plate. Steam the edamame in the same steamer basket until tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse the edamame in cold water to cool, then pat dry with paper towels. Peel and cut the beets into wedges.
In a medium bowl, stir the rice vinegar with the soy sauce, sesame oil and grated ginger. Add the edamame, beets, scallions and beet greens and toss to coat. Sprinkle the basil on top before serving.
Melissa Clark, Food and Wine