Eggplant & Tofu Stir Fry with Hot Peppers
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound firm tofu—drained, patted dry, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red serrano or jalapeño chili, sliced
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
Cook the rice according to the package directions. In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin, vinegar, and cornstarch.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the eggplant, scallion whites, garlic, chili, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing frequently, until the eggplant is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the hoisin mixture, tofu, and scallion greens and cook, tossing gently, until the sauce is thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the basil.