A bold, garlic-flavored preparation for water spinach or other Asian greens.
Garlicky Water Spinach
- 2 pounds fresh water spinach (or other greens)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (optional)
Trim and wash the water spinach. Shake off the excess water. Heat the wok or stockpot set over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil and rotate the wok or pot a bit to coat it evenly. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant and light golden, about 1 minute. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the fish sauce if using, stir, then cover and cook for another 30-45 seconds. Serve immediately.
From Bangkok to Bali in 30 Minutes, Theresa Volpe Laursen and Byron Laursen, 2003