Gingered Carrot Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion or 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 pound carrots, peeled, trimmed and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons thick yogurt for garnish
- 1 tablespoon slivered mint leaves, optional
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent. Add ginger and carrots, and cook, stirring, 5 minutes more. Add sugar, and cook, stirring, 1 minute more; add orange juice; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring bottom of pan with wooden spoon to deglaze. Cook until liquid reduces by about half, about 3 minutes.
Add broth and rice, and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 30 minutes, or until carrots are very tender.
Put mixture in food processor (or in blender in batches), and purée until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Heat through, garnish with dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of mint leaves and serve.
Vegetarian Times, January 2003