Sliced, grilled vegetables served in a simple marinade or vinaigrette.
Grilled Eggplant with Basil Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp. salt-packed capers, soaked and drained
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into ¼"-thick pieces
In a blender, purée 2 tbsp. oil, vinegar, capers, basil, and garlic and season with salt and pepper; transfer vinaigrette to a small bowl and set aside. Put eggplants on a baking sheet, brush both sides with remaining oil, and season with salt and pepper. Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Cook eggplant, flipping once, until slightly soft and browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer eggplant to a platter and drizzle with vinaigrette.