Grilled Halibut with Tatsoi and Spicy Thai Chiles
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Thai bird chilies with seeds or 1/2 large jalapeño chili with seeds, minced
- 1 small carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 4 6- to 7-ounce halibut fillets
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound tatsoi or baby spinach (about 12 cups packed)
Mix first 7 ingredients in medium glass bowl. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. (Sauce can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place carrot in medium bowl. Cover with ice water. Let stand 15 minutes, then drain well. Brush fish on all sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until just opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot; stir 1 minute. Add tatsoi; sprinkle with salt. Toss until tatsoi is wilted but still bright green, about 2 minutes; divide among 4 plates.
Place fish atop tatsoi. Sprinkle each fillet with carrot; drizzle each with 2 tablespoons sauce. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.