Marinate your beets.
Mediterranean Beet and Yogurt Salad
- 4 medium size beets, roasted
- 11/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves (to taste)
- 1/2 cup thick Greek style yogurt or drained yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced dill (or other herb)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the greens away from the beets, leaving about ¼ inch of stems. Scrub the beets and place in a baking dish (or lidded ovenproof casserole dish). Add ¼ inch of water to the dish. Cover tightly. Place in the oven and roast for 30-60 minutes (depending on size of beet). They’re done when they’re easily penetrated with the tip of a knife. Peel beets and cut into wedges or slice into half-moons. Stir together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the warm beets and allow to marinate for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Place the garlic in a mortar and pestle, add ⅛ teaspoon salt, and mash to a paste. Stir into the yogurt. Stir in half the dill. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain the beets and stir some of the marinade into the yogurt (to taste). Toss with the beets, or arrange the beets on a platter and drizzle the yogurt over the top. Sprinkle on the remaining dill, and serve.