- Zest of 1 lemon, cut into thin strips
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups apple cider
- 8 Bosc pears (with stems), peeled and cored from bottom
In a large saucepan, combine lemon zest, cinnamon stick, allspice, ground pepper, apple cider, and 1 cup water.
Add pears. Cover with waxed paper to prevent discoloring. Bring to a simmer. Cook, turning pears occasionally, until easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Remove pears from liquid; transfer to large bowl. Raise heat to high; boil cider mixture until reduced to a syrup, about 15 minutes. Discard cinnamon. Pour syrup over pears; refrigerate. To serve, slice off a sliver from the bottom of each pear (so it stands upright).