Warm beets on a crisp salad with a cheesy dollop of mousee.
Roasted Beet Salad with Fromage Blanc Mousee
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup Cypress Grove Fromage Blanc or fresh chevre
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, finely chopped
- 4 large beets
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 cups microgreens or a mix of baby bitter greens (arugula, mustard)
In a small bowl, whisk the heavy cream and cheese together until smooth. Sprinkle in the tarragon and whisk to combine. Cover the bowl and chill the mousse while you roast the beets.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scrub the beets and then toss them with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place the beets in a baking dish and cover with foil. Roast until fork tender (about 30 minutes), turning the beets from the oven; reserve any juice in the pan for garnish. When cool enough to handle, peel the beets and slice them into ½ inch rounds.
Assemble the salad by placing the microgreens on a plate. Top with warm sliced beets. Add a dollop of mousse on the side.
Source: Organic Gardening Magazine, Winter 2009-2010