Summer Squash or Zucchini Pancakes
- about 2 pounds summer squash or zucchini, the smaller the better
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup flour or plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or parsley leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive or other oil
Finely grate the squash by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor. Combine it with the egg, onion, flour or bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and herbs. Add more flour or bread crumbs if necessary to make a mixture capable of holding its shape.
Shape into 4 or 8 burger-shaped patties. If time allows, refrigerate for 1 hour to allow them to firm up.
When you're ready to cook, place the oil in a large skillet and turn the heat to medium-heat. When the oil is hot, dredge the cakes in flour or bread crumbs and place in the skillet. Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 15 minutes.
How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman