Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup soy milk or cow's milk
- 1/2 cup water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Steam sweet potatoes until soft, about 20 minutes, and allow to cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
Puree sweet potatoes, lemon juice, maple syrup, olive oil, milk and water.
Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
Lightly oil 2 cookie sheets.
Place ½ cup scoops of batter 3 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Biscuits are okay to freeze for up to three months.
The Angelica Home Kitchen, Leslie McEachern