A lovely first course or side dish.
Tomatoes with Goat Cheese & Thyme
- 4 medium large tomatoes, halved crosswise and seeded
- salt and black pepper
- 6 ounces soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or summer savory)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Place the tomatoes, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Season generously with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, lend the cheese with the bread crumbs and thyme. Evenly divide the mixture over the top of the tomatoes, pushing some of the bread crumbs into the tomatoes. Bake for 20 minutes, or until warmed thoroughly. Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, chives, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the tomatoes from the oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Place the tomatoes on a serving plate and drizzle with the dressing.
Your Organic Kitchen, Jessie Ziff Cool, 2000